What's new
Music Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Music Forums by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do you think Raggae is always criticized?

Toby

LV

I have kept wondering why most Raggea songs are being criticized and the only logical and possible conclusion that I have arrived at was because they always try as much as possible to expose the bad government policies, bad religious practices, and talk on racism. Some critize reggae artists because of their excessive use of Cannabis.

Some critize reggae artists because of their excessive use of Cannabis.
All sorts of people in many genres of music use drugs.

and talk on racism.
I suppose that relates to the association of Marcus Garvey and all that, but I don't think, for instance, Bob Marley was a fanatic on that.
bad religious practices,
I don't know how many Reggae listeners are hardcore Rastafarians. Why would it be relevant to enjoying and/or playing the music?

It's mainly because of drugs that Raggae songs or their artists are been poked at all the time and when you look it it critically, it's all true. Most musicians use drugs, take a look at someone like Lil Wayne.

I have come to the acceptance that some people will always criticise whatever they don't like and it's exactly what happens with those who doesn't like reggae. They will find something to paint the music black but in reality, it's the only music that's real to the core about what's going on in our society.

All sorts of people in many genres of music use drugs.
This is very correct. It's not only reggae artist that are associated with using drugs. Hip hop artists do it too especially when they have a live performance to do. Lil Wayne passed out on stage once because of overdose.

It's mainly because of drugs that Raggae songs or their artists are been poked at all the time and when you look it it critically, it's all true. Most musicians use drugs, take a look at someone like Lil Wayne.
You are right about Lil Wayne and some other hip hop musicians. They are do drugs and some have even died from overdosing. Take for example, DMX. He died as a result of using cracked cocaine, alcohol and some other drugs.

People will always criticise what they don't identify with. It's why I'm not fazed about what a lot of people have to say about the reggae music genre. I know why I listen to reggae, they can't say what's going change my mind.

A lot of musicians have died from drugs and alcoholic related complications. It's just like what happened with Billie Holiday who died in a New York hospital at the age of 44 as a result of drugs and alcoholic related mishaps. This is a common thing with reggae music artists.

Back