What's new
Music Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Music Forums by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What rock group band was your introduction to Alternative?

Foxybananas

LV

Notes
♬89
Mine was Pearl Jam, Live, Red Hot Chili Peppers.. in that order in one day!

I was a teenager living in the east coast in the mid 90's and mostly listened to R&B, reggae and some rap... pretty much the same thing everyone else around me was into.

One day, hanging out with a new friend she started to play this new genre that I had never heard before and I liked it! It was amazing, it was so different than what I was listening to at the time, the songs and music had such a powerful sound to it and the energy was different, it was full of passion and feeling. I was then introduced to Nirvana, blind melon, bush, etc... I was hooked.

I now listen to a variety of music but I always add some alternative to the mix.

Nivana... I remember watching MTV and seeing the Smells like Teen Spirit video. Since then I have had some form of Alt Rock on my playlists..

Nivana... I remember watching MTV and seeing the Smells like Teen Spirit video. Since then I have had some form of Alt Rock on my playlists..
That's my favourite one too. Formed by Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic in 1987 in Washington. Their drummer Chad Channing was so good.

It's Red Hot Chili Peppers that made that adjustment for me. I loved theirs songs so much because of how it integrated both alternative rock, funk, punk rock, and hard rock amongst its songs elements. It made me fall in love with the band so much.

Nirvana was my introduction to alternative music.

As I listened to more of Nirvana's music, I started to take an interest in other bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains, each of which had a unique sound and aesthetic.

It is Nirvana that was my own personal introduction to alternative music. After getting into Nirvana, that's how I started loving other bands that boosted my flair in most band songs.

My brother was into alternative music. He was an alternative freak. He introduced me to all sorts of weird bands (being sarcastic) that nobody in my high school had heard of.

Back