What's new
Music Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Music Forums by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the difference between traditional music and folk music?

Jon

LV

Traditional music and folk music have always had me confused in a way that I don't seem to understand. They both looked much like the same thing to be but for some reason, they appear to have differences. They are both rural music passed down from specific group generation to generation.

Some traditional music isn't perfromed or recorded which is one thing that's synonymous with folk music because all folk music aren't recorded or preformed. What are the other striking difference between traditional music and folk music?

I would say that you have already given a vivid explanation of the difference between traditional music and folk music. They are something I equally align to because of the connection it carries with the people. Personally, I am the kind of person that really enjoy more of traditional music because it's got a whole lot of link up with our olden days culture.

Are they not the same thing? Folk music is traditional by its concept and what it's contents are built upon and traditional music is rooted in the traditions of the land. They are the same thing in my eyes.

Folk music always focuses on the everyday life of the community. Their lyrics is based on love, work, hardship, and celebrations. It is closely tied to the identity and experiences of the people. This is completely different from when traditional music focuses on.

Back