What's new
Music Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Music Forums by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discuss the pros and cons of buying new vs. used musical instruments

Altair

LV

Notes
♬712
It's crucial to weigh all of your options before investing a lot of money in a musical instrument. Choosing a new or used instrument is one of the most crucial decisions.

Advantages to purchasing new musical equipment

New instruments are the most recent version of the instrument because they are taken directly from the factory with all the most recent updates and improvements.
Warranty: New instruments frequently include a warranty, giving the buyer peace of mind in case any problems develop.
Customization: To suit the interests of the consumer, some instrument manufacturers offer customization choices for new instruments, such as various coatings, materials, or specs.
No deterioration: Fresh instruments are free of any dents, scratches, or deterioration that can compromise their playability or tone.

Buying new musical instruments has several drawbacks.

Expensive: Since new instruments are frequently more expensive than old ones, people on a tight budget may find it difficult to afford them.
Depreciation: New instruments, like other things, can depreciate quickly, which means that the instrument's worth could decline over time.
Limited history: Because new instruments have no history, it is impossible to predict how they will sound or perform in the future.

Pros of buying used musical instruments:

Lower cost: used instruments are generally cheaper than new ones, making them more accessible for those on a tight budget.
Classic look: used instruments can have a classic, vintage look that some players find attractive.

Cons of buying used musical instruments:
Wear and tear: Used instruments may have scratches, dents, or other physical damage that could affect the sound or playability of the instrument.
Potential repairs: Depending on the age and condition of the instrument, it may require repairs or maintenance, which can be costly.
No warranty: Used instruments are often sold "as-is" and do not come with a warranty.
Limited selection: Finding the right used instrument can take time, and there may be limited options available.

Have you bought a new or used musical instrument before? What were your reasons for choosing one over the other? Share your experiences and insights.

Here is some fun trivia for you! Willie Nelson usually plays the same beat-up guitar he had from a long time ago. Who knew that? He just keeps repairing it.

Lower cost: used instruments are generally cheaper than new ones, making them more accessible for those on a tight budget.
Classic look: used instruments can have a classic, vintage look that some players find attractive.

Someone joked drums were for rich kids when I was in high school, but that's not the case anymore. About anyone can buy a used set for a decent price including poor kids.

I won't buy any used musical instruments. It's not that some of them are not going to be in good use but simply because I'm never good at using anything that's been used by another person makes it very difficult for me to buy one. Yes, I know that new instruments can be expensive but if I really want it, then that doesn't matter much.

Being able to buy only new musical instrument is only going to be made possible if you can afford purchasing them. I have purchased a few number of new musical instruments but I also have fairly used musical instrument purchased too which are still in very good playing condition.

I have a problem with making use of items which are not brand new. I will never have that peace of mind and trust that the device is going to be durable which is the reason why I only buy brand new products and not used product.

Back