What's new
Music Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Music Forums by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you overcome writers block in song writing or poetry?

Altair

LV

Notes
♬712
Are you struggling with writer's block in your songwriting or poetry? You're not alone. It's a common challenge that many writers face. Whether you're trying to finish a song or start a new poem, feeling stuck can be frustrating and discouraging.

So, how do you overcome writer's block? Everyone has their own methods, but here are a few ideas to consider:

Take a break: Sometimes, the best thing you can do when you're feeling stuck is to step away from your writing for a little while. Go for a walk, read a book, or do something else that helps clear your mind.

Try freewriting: Set a timer for a certain amount of time, say 10 or 15 minutes, and just start writing whatever comes to mind. Don't worry about grammar, spelling, or making sense. The goal is to get your creative juices flowing.

Change your environment: If you've been writing in the same place for a while, try moving to a different location. A change of scenery can help you see things in a new light.

Collaborate with someone else: Working with another writer or musician can be a great way to get unstuck. Brainstorm ideas together, share feedback, and see where your joint creativity takes you.

Read about or listen to other artists work: Sometimes, listening to other artists' work can inspire you to create something new. Find songs or poems that resonate with you and see if they spark any ideas.

These are just a few ideas to help you overcome writer's block. What are some of your favorite techniques for getting unstuck?

Overcoming writer's block is never easy but it is possible. Whenever I have hit writer's block when doing any kind of writing including poem writing when I was younger, I always found taking a break from writing help, and getting outside and doing something away from writing helped spark my writing again and gives me fresh ideas.

Sometimes you just need to take time to be able to clear your mind and take in the outdoors to get new ideas.

Back