What's new
Music Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Music Forums by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How classical music is connect to metal?

theonlygothinukraine

LV

Notes
♬95
Hey everyone! I wanted to bring up an interesting topic that’s been on my mind for a while. Have you ever thought about how connected classical music is with metal? At first glance, they seem like completely different genres, but if you dig a little deeper, there are actually so many similarities. One of the biggest connections is in the complex compositions and technical playing. You can hear it in a lot of metal bands, especially the more progressive or symphonic ones, where they use classical-style structures and even orchestras.

Think about the fast guitar solos in metal. They're often compared to the kind of virtuosity you’d find in classical music, like Paganini on the violin or a pianist shredding through a crazy-fast piece. Metal guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen literally took inspiration from classical composers to create that neoclassical metal sound. It’s almost like metal is a modern version of classical music, pushing musical boundaries the way composers did back in the day.

Another thing that binds them is the dramatic themes. Both classical and metal love exploring big, emotional topics—heroism, tragedy, darkness, and power. It’s intense, and you can feel the same kind of energy in both genres. For example, listen to Wagner’s operas and then listen to a symphonic metal band like Nightwish. There’s a similar epic vibe going on, and that’s why so many metal bands use orchestras or even collaborate with symphonies (like Metallica did with their "S&M" concert).

Emotion is key too. Classical music can be super emotional, and metal taps into that same kind of raw, intense feeling. Whether it’s doom metal with its dark, melancholic vibe or something more aggressive like thrash metal, there’s always that connection to deeper human emotions. For me, metal feels like a natural continuation of what classical music started—complex, emotional, and always pushing boundaries.

Would love to know your thoughts on this! Have you noticed the same connection between the two? Or maybe you know of some metal bands that use classical elements that I might’ve missed?

Back