What's new
Music Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on Music Forums by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grindcore evolution

theonlygothinukraine

LV

Notes
♬95
Hey everyone,

I wanted to dive into a topic that’s been on my mind lately: the evolution of grindcore and how it transformed from those jazzy blast beats to the classic grind sound we know today. It’s a wild journey that showcases the genre's roots and how it developed over time.

Jazz Influences: Did you know that some of the earliest grindcore sounds drew inspiration from jazz? It’s true! Early grindcore bands took cues from jazz musicians who were experimenting with speed and complexity. Think about drummers like Tony Williams and Elvin Jones—those intricate patterns and explosive rhythms really laid the groundwork for what would become the blast beats we hear in grindcore. It’s amazing how jazz helped shape that aspect of the genre.

Birth of Grindcore: The mid-1980s saw bands like Napalm Death and Extreme Noise Terror stepping onto the scene, and that’s when grindcore really started to take shape. With their raw and chaotic sounds, these bands combined elements of punk and metal, leading to a heavier and more aggressive approach. Scum by Napalm Death is often seen as a defining moment for the genre. The mix of fast tempos, short songs, and politically charged lyrics was groundbreaking!

Classic Grind Sound: By the late '80s and early '90s, grindcore had carved out a distinct identity. You had those super-fast drumming, heavily distorted guitars, and those guttural vocals that we all know and love. Bands like Carcass were blending grindcore with death metal, while Brutal Truth refined the sound even further by incorporating experimental elements.

Evolution and Diversification: As grindcore continued to grow, it branched into various subgenres like deathgrind, powerviolence, and even mathcore. Each of these styles brought something unique to the table, expanding the grindcore sound in exciting ways. Modern bands like Pig Destroyer and Nails are still pushing boundaries and keeping the genre alive.

In conclusion, the evolution of grindcore from its jazz roots to the classic grind sound is a testament to its rich history and innovation. It’s incredible to see how the genre has evolved while still staying true to its core. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this! What are some of your favorite grindcore bands or albums that showcase this evolution? Let’s discuss!

Reactions: Jon
Pig Destroyer is my favourite grindcore band. The lyrics is one of the best when it comes to being though provoking with ferocious sounds. Prowler in the Yard album which was released in 2001 will always be my favorite.

Back